Bleeding: First Aid or first aid for bleeding In most cases, when your child scratches or cuts himself, the bleeding will stop quickly. Although the amount of blood may seem large, most minor wounds do not cause significant blood loss or complications. However, if the bleeding does not stop, you must act quickly to avoid significant blood loss and possibly shock. Shock occurs when the circulatory system fails to supply a sufficient amount of blood to all parts of the body. Signs of shock can include:
- pale, greyish skin
- drop in body temperature
- accelerated breathing
When treating any kind of injury, light or severe, put your child in a resting position. Have him sit or lie down.
Be sure to raise the wound area above the level of the heart. This will reduce the amount of blood that will flow to the wound. If the wound contains dirt, gently wash it with clean, cool or warm tap water. Do not use hot water. You can also use bottled water or a saline sprayer to clean the wound. Do not use alcohol, iodine, mercury, hydrogen peroxide or other similar agents to clean the wound. These solutions can cause pain and / or irritation. Direct pressure
Take a sterile gauze or clean cloth and press firmly on the wound to stop the bleeding. Once the bleeding has stopped or is less, secure the bandage with tape or a hook pin.
Call your county emergency numbers like USA 911 right away if your child shows signs of shock.
If an object has become embedded or stuck in your child’s body, do not remove it. Removing it may make bleeding worse. Instead, protect and cover the area with a sterile gauze pad. Take care not to push the object further into the wound. Be sure to wash your hands or wear disposable gloves to reduce the risk of infection. Cover the wound with a roll of bandage. Hold the roll of bandage above and below the wound. Then seek immediate medical attention to remove the object and heal the wound.
- If your child’s wound does not stop bleeding on its own, act quickly to avoid excessive blood loss and prevent shock
- Signs of shock include pale skin, decreased body temperature, sweating, rapid breathing, and fainting.
- Call 911 or your county emergency number right away if your child shows signs of shock
- Raise the wound so it is above the level of the heart. This will reduce the amount of blood that will flow to the injured area.
- Make sure your hands are clean or wear disposable gloves when treating your child’s wound
- If an object has been embedded in your child’s body, do not remove it. Cover the area with a clean roll of bandage and seek medical attention immediately.
Also read : Oral Thrush